Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Miss Representation


Miss Representation is a film about "how American youth are being sold the concept that women and girls’ value lies in their youth, beauty and sexuality". I discovered this film on Whispering Sweet Nothings this morning. I watched the trailer and immediately felt like I should also bring awareness to this film. 

After watching it, it got me thinking. Yes, media is to blame for how women are viewed. But they're not at fault 100%. Toy companies are at fault as well. I remember learning in Anthropology about gender specific toys. Girls get Barbies and other types of dolls, so they can play house. We also get a kitchen set, so we can pretend we're cooking for our dolls (I even had one!). Boys get the trucks and G.I Joes to play with. My Anthropology professor showed my class a toy that was geared towards girls. It was a toy cleaning trolley and it had cleaning supplies on it as well; just think of the play kitchen you had when you were younger, it's very similar. I never knew they had such a thing until last year! 

So yes, toy companies and the media are at fault, but history is to blame as well. I know we can't change history, but I'm blaming it. If you go back to the 1200's, 1300's, 1400's, etc. who was number 1 all the time? Men. Who was the king? Men. Who went to war? Men. Who was the first president of the U.S? A man! Get were I'm going with this? Men were thought of as superior, number 1 for years now. This mindset that women are lower than men and men are superior has been going on for years. This way of thinking has been with us for years, as well as passed down to us by our ancestors. Your 30th great grandfather had this mindset and passed it down and about 800 years later, we still have this mindset. Yes, we learn that men are better and women are lower. But I believe we were born with that mindset. I believe it's been with us for many years and as I said above, our ancestors passed it down to us. 

Like I said, there's nothing we can do about it now, we can't change history. But now we have to fix it; it's up my generation and the next generation to fix 800 years of  "men are better and women aren't" and "women are only good for domestic work and having children". 

I have to admit though, I do fall for all the images I see in the media. I do get negative thoughts and think "Oh, that's how I should look" or "That's what I should do. Then maybe I'll have more friends or a boyfriend". I try not to fall for it or let it get to me, but I can't help it sometimes! 

So, watch the trailer and let me know what you think!

I don't state my opinions often on here, but for this, I had to. 

Have a lovely day!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...